Friday, August 21, 2009

It's been a year!

It's been a year of being cancer free and treatment free. It was a year ago that I finished my IV cancer treatments at the Vancouver cancer Agency.

The year hasn't been void of bumps and dips, like the big one in March/April when I ended up in the hospital for a month. (Now the Dr's feeling quite certain that I had swine flu, that was just before it hit the media.)Then getting shingles at the beginning of July. I've been feeling really good for about a month now.

My asthma has been much more under control, but with the use of steroids, which has now left me at the heaviest I've ever been, even at 9 months pregnant. 222 lbs isn't exactly where I feel comfortable, but I'm so happy to have a body (one that firstly is alive) and secondly that is able to do everything that I need it to do. There have been many times that I have thought that I might not be able to do the things I'm able to do now. I worried that life would never be normal again. And now it is as "normal" as can be; normal for us anyway:)

My next goals are setting some fitness goals; pushing my body just a little bit harder by walking more, working towards jogging again, hoping to be able ride my bike again next spring, working out at the gym regularly etc. If losing weight becomes a part of that, great, but if not...then I'll just get use to being "Feather on steroids:)"

If you ever wondered what Feather on steroids would look like, this is it:)!! I'm just an expanded version of myself. More to love, as Chris would say:) (LOVE HIM!!) People often comment on my name, especially wearing a name tag at work, but the "Light as a feather" jokes stopped a long time ago:( Lately I've been remembering what I heard my Grandma Bryce said when I was born and my parent's told her my name, she said, "What if she grows up to be fat?!?!!!!" Yikes! I guess she's resting in peace and I'll just leave it at that.

I've been thinking of starting a work-out group that meets at the ARC once a week, called, "Light as a Feather";which focuses more on physical, mental and emotional wellness. Since I have all the fitness knowledge, teaching aerobics for 4 years and working as a fitness instructor and trainer, plus leading running clinics for the Running Room, I have all the info to share. Whether women are trying to get back in shape, take their fitness to a new level, or getting in shape for the first time; I'm thinking we could all do it together.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Joan said...

Go-o-o-o-o-o, Feather!!!