Thursday, January 14, 2010

Interesting way to spread awareness...

You may have heard of the recent movement on Facebook where Women are encouraged to post the color of their bra,as their status, to show support for the fight against breast cancer. And of course I see this as a VERY worthwhile cause but...

I won't be posting my bra color on my facebook status, though I do appreciate the effort to draw attention to the cause of breast cancer, I feel that bras can be a touchy subject for many breast cancer patients and survivours. Many can never wear a normal bra again (usually nothing sexy or cute) and some will never have a need for one again. I respect the effort however and I get the point; it certainly worked at getting people talking about an important subject:)

I have heard of awareness organization that have the following slogans, "Save the tata's" and "save second base"; though I think they are funny and get people talking about breast cancer(which is great)...it's not just about saving breasts, it's so much more than that!! It's about saving womens' lives!! AND we are so much more than our breasts.
IF our breasts are trying to kill us, then good-riddens! I'm not about saving breasts to risk a life. Though I hope women can stop losing their breasts to this disease, I am much more concerned with their lives!! I can honestly say I have never missed mine. They were my"enemy",trying to end my life. Love the breasts you have ladies!! But if they turn on you, please don't be afraid to say good-bye to them
I've grown to appreciate and love my reconstructive breast implants, I often call them my "adopted-girls", I love them as much as if they were my own. These ones do belong to me, they aren't real, but they are REALLY mine!!

An old friend just sent me the following...very interesting:)


Gents....you may have heard of the recent movement here on Facebook. Women were encouraged to post the color of their bra as their stats as a show of support for the fight against breast cancer. This is a worthwhile cause. With the encouragement of a friend of mine I propose a similar type of movement to show our support for testicular and prostate cancer. If your of a mind, post the color of your underwear as your status to show your support to end prostate and testicular cancer. Hopefully we can bring as much recognition to this form of cancer as the ladies have brought to breast cancer. If you choose to participate, send a copy of this note to all of your male friends and encourage them to show their support as well. Thanks for your time and attention.

So I posted this on my status:

I was asked by a friend to suggest, due to recent movement on fb for women to post the color of their bra in support of breast cancer, that we now request men to post the color of their underwear to show support for testicular and prostate cancer. Why not!! I'm all for raising awareness:) I'm just waiting to see "comando" as a response:)

Support research and awareness for all cancers...we've come along way and most people can now say the word, that was the "C" word for so many generations.

No comments: