Sunday, June 29, 2008

Update (From Chris)

Well, we're back. Disneyland was amazing. The looks in my childrens' eyes alone was worth everything we put into it. Cadence was heard everyday to be shouting, "MICKEY! MICKEY!" We want to say an incredible thank-you to everyone who helped us make this trip happen. Jacquie Claggett, Tim and Carla Neufeld, Rob Ellis, Lisa Witt,Cariboo Road Christian Fellowship and Northview just to name a few. From the bottom of our hearts, thank-you. I didn't really realize how rundown, overworked and tired we all were until we finally had a chance just to enjoy each other as a family and think of nothing but having fun. It seems like years since we've done that.

The day after we got back Feather and I headed back into Vancouver to False Creek Surgical Centre where where through a friend, one of the owners had been incredibly gracious and offered a barrage of tests and medical imaging gratis, on some of the most advanced equipment in the country in one of the best clinics in the country.

Unfortunately, this is where the good news stops. Feather's chest MRI came back as abnormal. So far we just have the preliminary results from the radiologist who did the scans, but in a nutshell he offered two possible causes for the abnormality: Either there was damage caused by radiation (which the radiation oncologist said should not happen as the radiation treatments are focused and very precise), or the cancer has spread.

Most likely the next step will be a thoracic biopsy (which I believe is a laproscopic procedure where they go in and take some tissue samples). We are waiting for the official report from the radiologist, and then a consult with Feather's oncologist to determine the next step.

The radiologist said he thought it looked like lymphatic spread, which could be bad.

So please continue to pray, this is not the news we hoped for. The the spectre that is the prospect of starting this all over again is grim indeed.

One last thing to keep in your prayers... I also have a couple of clients who are late in paying their balance which is causing another level of undue stress as well. Ordinarily not a huge deal, but right now everything feels like a huge deal. Thanks for reading, I'll post more when I have details.

7 comments:

Tania said...

I'm so happy you guys had an amazing family vacation...the girls must have been in awe. We will be praying for direction, wisdom, expediancy,quick recovery timeof course the best possible results for Feather's upcoming biopsy. God is in control and the saints are praying for you all!
Lots of love!

Flo said...

Hi Chris and family,
We are praying for all of you at this time and so glad that you were able to enjoy some downtime and connect time as a family. You deserve it. We will continue to pray for Feather and for the doctors and all involved in her care and in the upcoming tests. Thank you so much for posting your updates.

Jewelz said...

I am happy to hear the trip was good and that you had an amazing time.

I am sorry to hear about Feather's results, but am VERY happy that this finally happened for her. We have all felt that something was not right and that she really needed a thorough scan. I of course hope that all further testing will prove to be minor and handleable.
Sincerely,
Julie and on behalf of all YCSC'ers

ROSALIE said...

Chris, Feather and family,

It is good to hear that you guys had a great vacation. Your extended family was praying for you and we continue to do so.

I wish I had something profound to say. Just know that we love you and even more than that, our Heavenly Father loves you with an everlasting love that never fails.

HE MAKETH NO MISTAKE

My Father’s way may twist and turn,
My heart may throb and ache.
But in my soul I’m glad I know,
He maketh no mistake.

My cherished plan may go astray,
My hopes made fade away.
But I’ll still trust my Lord to lead,
For He doth know the way.

Though night be dark and it may seem
That day will never break,
I place my trust, my all in Him.
He maketh no mistake.

There’s so much now I cannot see,
My eyesight far too dim.
But come what may, I’ll simply trust
And leave it all to Him.

For by and by the mist will lift,
And plain it all He’ll make.
Through all the way, though dark to me,
He made not one mistake.

Coco said...

As I shed a few tears after my phone conversation with Chris today (I was out of touch from the blog for a bit) my son Colton asked me why I was sad. All I could muster up to say was "it's about Feather," to which he replied "oh, Mommy, are not enough people bringing meals?" I had to smile, and cry a little more...because I only wish it were that simple.

Feather, Chris, Carmelle, and Cadence,

You are all in my prayers. I am trusting that God has you in His loving and knowing hands. I will continue to pray along with these sisters, that the biopsy results would reveal a miraculous healing.

My heart and prayers are with you.
Corina

Unknown said...

Like everyone else, I'm so happy to hear that the trip went well - after all the illness of the past few months, it's great to hear that you all had a wonderful time.
It's also good to hear that Feather got the medical tests she needed. Even if the results aren't exactly what you had hoped for, at least testing found the problem now - not a year or two from now.
Feather is an amazing, strong woman, and I believe your attitude has a huge effect on your health.
Please let her know that she's in our prayers - as are you, the girls, and the rest of your family.

jkwiens said...

I'm so happy that you guys were able to have this time as a family. I know you needed it and I can only imagine what it was like to see the girls' faces as they experienced the world of Disney!
But as I read on in your blog post my heart sunk. I can only imagine how the results of the tests made you guys feel. I am just praying that God would totally heal Feather and that the biopsy will find nothing at all. My heart aches for you guys. But Feather is such an amazing woman and Chris you are an incredible husband and dad... you guys are a huge encouragment and the way that you guys are walking this journey is true testimony of faith.
I am here for you if you need anything. Just call. Love and prayers, Amber