Monday, January 19, 2009

It's that kind of a day.

I read in the newspaper today that this day is officially the most depressing day of the year; the third monday in January. For most it's the reality of the holidays being over, with the reality of the holiday bank statments and credit card bills arriving. This year especially many are feeling hard hit by the economic down turn and they themselves are feeling "turned-down" emotionally. Also in the North we feel heavy laden with the shorter hours of daylight, the drizzle (especially on the west coast of North America)being stuck in doors due to harsh weather conditions and jsu not getting enough sun which contains much needed vitamin D.

Like many others I'm affected by what is refered to as "seasonal affective disorder". I realized this many years ago when I'd started to feel symptoms of depression by the end of February every year and I seemed to come back to life by May when the warmth of the sun would shine upon me.

I've come up with strategies to fight the "winter-blahs" which work for me, this year having to pull out all the stops. Commonly recommended tips to surviving and perhaps thriving through the dreary west coast winter include:
1. Getting enough sun; when it's out, get out in it! For me this includes weekly or bi-weekly visits to Perfect Tan:)
2. Getting plenty of excercise; especially through the holidays when a few extra lbs can also get depressing.
3. Get out of the house and have a social life; even if going to work is a part os your interaction with people. (and if all the interaction you have with people is little people, you need to find some adults to hang with for a bit a few times a week!
4. Make time for hobbies and things you enjoy; and if you don't have any then discover some! This includes scrapbooking, reading, watching movies, travelling, photography, and crosswords for me:)
5. Fill your "dead" environment with some living stuff like plants, pets and flowers (as long as you are niot allergic!)
6. Through in some color! Wear something sassy and bring out some spring colors in your living space to add some srping to your step.
7. Simplify, simplify, Simplify!!! Get rid uf unwanted, unneeded stuff. Clear your mind, your space your schedule. Make time for you and take care of you while you care for others. Not simple but necessary.
8. A healthy Diet is always a good idea; Garbage in; Garbage out as they say. Healthy choices boost your energy levels and attitude.
9. Set healthy and obtainable goals. Have a plan and strategy and hopefully you can get back on track with all the New Year's resolutions you already blew!
10. Take a look around you at some people who seems to be "chipper" and "bubbly" and do what they do! Chances are they have something figured out:)
11. Find things to laugh about; even if it's not really all that funny!!

When i've done all of that and it's still a bummer minute to hour to day, then I take a visit to my therapist (who I see regularly; taking care of your mental adn emotional health all year round is a great idea!!) my GP, the tanning beds more than 2X a week and book a holiday.I did all of the above in the last few weeks and this is NOT the most depressing day of the year from me, probably because of it!!

I turned 37 just over two weeks ago and my dear husband treated me to a surprise trip to Las Vegas (there are super good deals right now, especially flying out of Bellingham) I got lots of sun, walked the strip many times over, saw many fun and enjoyable shows, was entertained, found some bargins, did things that made me happy, saw lots of bright flashing lights:) and connected with my friend Julie who lives there. All in all it was the perfect trip, with perfect timing and perfect weather! I came home feeling refreshed and rejuvinated! I am now a much happier Mommy, Wife and Feather! Yes, I feel very "spoiled" to get such a great get-away, but I believe we all deserve to get spoiled by doing something we love every once in awhile! Whether it's a long candle-lite bubble bath, dancing to your favorite tunes at a concert, getting cozy with the one you love, or just staying in bed doing absolutely nothing for awhile.

So if you are feeling blue perhaps you need to close your eyes and imagine something that makes you see life through "rose-colored" glasses for a bit. Give yourself a break; ease-up a bit on your own expectations of yourself. Allow your self some down-time,perhaps retire the "super-woman cape" for another day and lay low. Whatever it is that you need to do to feel good; as long as it's a healthy choice!!:)

Life is going to keep coming at you...it's not going to ease up. But you can ease up on yourself and change how you react to it. (this is a very valuble life lesson i'm trying hard to apply regularly and consistantly.) I've been learning that I can make time to stop and smell the roses and still get poked by those "bloody" thorns!

As I enjoyed the beautiful sunshine, that I believe I brought home from Las Vegas,I found out that a friend has been dianosed with a reoccurance of her breast cancer. This is devestating news for this young Mom and wife and my heart aches for her. This "bloody" cancer can really be depressing. It is my hope and prayer that through it all there can be laughter, joy and healing.

On this kind of a day, it has been...

No comments: