Saturday, November 22, 2008

I think my “Cows-are-buoyant?!?”

I do believe that my five year old may have stumbled on to the newest catch-phrase!
I did something to disappoint her, one of many times in her life time to be sure, and she said with a disgruntled tone,

“Mommy, you sunk my cows!”

“I did what?” I exclaimed?!?

“You sunk my cows!!” She pointed out as an explicative.

“OH?!, Where did you hear that?!?”

“I didn’t, I just made it up.” She shrugged off.

“Hmmm...that’s actually a really good one Carmelle, very catchy. I think that might just catch on and you may very well become a trend setter!”

“Thank-you, Mommy. What’s a trend setter?”

“Someone who makes a mark with an impression with a lasting expression. I do believe that your statement, you-sunk-my-cows, could be the next big thing my dear.”

As I laughed with hilarity in my voice I realized the depth of her expression. Kayla, our present boarder, responded just as I thought she would and texted, “sunk-my-cows” to her friend. To which she responded with, lol. (You’ll only know what “lol” means if you are “hip”.I thought I’d add to the contributing factors of this phrase catching on, by posting it here on my blog.(Exploiting my daughters wittiness)

I recall my mother-in-laws, catch phrase," you peed on my rainbow", which only caught on in the Janz family but expresses the same feeling. So perhaps, like Grandmother, like Grand-daughter.

It also made me reflect on my own “cows” and I suppose cancer sunk-my-cows, though they are now rather buoyant.

It also made me think back to the statement, that my mother said to me at least once in my earlier years, “He won’t buy the cow if you are giving away the milk for free.” And for the record I did follow this advice and it does work.

It also made me feel some sympathetic feelings for the women of latter years who quite literally, have the sinking of their cows. I can’t empathize with these women, as mine will never sink, one of a few perks of breast cancer and double mastectomies that I can hold on to.

I can also think of many circumstances in which “sunk-my-cows” could come in handy, especially when seeking a tame replacement for other four letter words that are not so errrr....acceptable.

So for fun, I encourage you to use “sunk-my-cows” in context; We are using it over here and having a “hoot” (a not so trendy word).

Hoping your cows are not sinking or sunk... but know it’s there when you need it!

I’m grateful for a light-hearted expression provided by my five year old, which I will probably use everyday, which will put and smile on my face and will flip off my tongue nicely and land where I need it.

Try it, it’s a new fad, fabulous and fun!

I already used it tonight when I entered the bathroom during bath time and soaked my socks, and muttered under my breath, ”Sunk-my-Cows!”; due to the over flowing bath time adventures of Cadence and Carmelle.

I encourage you to Adventure on, even when you feel your "Cows have sunk"!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aren't kids amazing? My son - who is just a little older than your girls - often says things like this. It's such a joy to see the world through their eyes and hearts.