Monday, May 14, 2007

May 6th-13th What a week...

Hello,

It's been a roller-coaster of a week, as has today been one, of mixed emotions. I was blessed with a wonderful breakfast in bed for Mother's Day. As I enjoyed my meal I thought of this day five years ago, it marks the anniversary of my best friend Carmen's passing. I decided that this day would include her memory, so I drove with my girls to Chilliwack and brought flowers to her graveside. We stopped by to see my Mom and the girl's were very excited that they get to see both their Grandma's today. Chris's parent's will be here tonight from London, England. They were in Hamiliton to see Chris's sister and her family, and their new grandson, Jacob (Jack) Alexander Colorado. He was born Monday May 7th. He is our first nephew. Chris brought me pictures of him in the hospital, he's beautiful. That was certainly the highlight of my day, if not my week!
Monday when I went to emergency, because my 4 inch incision burst open with infection, I was admitted. I was started on IV antibiotics, large doses of wide spectrum antibiotics, as well as pain medication. Not only was my situation highly uncomfortable, but I had one of the worst headaches I've ever had. I'd actually been having many very bad headaches lately, so thankfully my Dr. ordered a brain CT scan to alleviate a tumor as the problem, and it did. Thank God, I'd been rather worried. I do believe they are caused by jaw tension and teeth grinding, they are the worst when I wake in the morning. I hope they go away, I don't need them as well.
So by Wednesday I was much better and the antibiotics were doing their job. The wound opened even more, though it is healing but it will take several days more to heal completely. Thankfully it's not very painful anymore and I don't have to take any pain meds, the nerves were all cut with the mastectomy so they don't send me pain signals. I'd describe the feeling as tension and pressure, that I hope will soon pass.
I was released from the hospital Wednesday afternoon and went home to pack before heading to Vancouver. I picked up Heather at the airport and we ended up sacking out at the hotel. We stayed at the Best Western Sands, on English Bay, I get a super good deal as an employee of abc restaurant.
Thursday I headed to the cancer clinic with Heather and met with my radiologist. I was informed that my radiation will be five and a half weeks instead of the three weeks I was prepared for. It will be completed just before Christmas and not well before, like I was hoping. The decision was made by the oncologist that chemo therapy will have to be put off by two weeks because of my infection. I understand the decision though I'm itching to just get started. The portacath insertion surgery was also delayed until May 25th and Chemo on the 26th.
So Heather and I decided to make the best of my circumstances, so we stayed at the hotel in the city for two more nights and enjoyed shopping, the beach, pedicures, dinners and walking in the beautiful weather. It was the perfect end to a difficult week. I now feel like a cold is coming on, do pray that I don't get sick and feel better through the antibiotics and that the infection stays away once the meds are done. Plus that the wound heals as well as possible. Thanks so much for your prayers, we've seen so many prayers answered.
We feel so blessed with so much love, support and encouragement.

To another week...

Feather

No comments: