Wednesday, June 24, 2009

New shingles...and not just the kind for the roof.

So we've found out that it's about $12,000 to have our roof done this summer with new shingles; and it's $100 for the anti-viral medication to treat the shingles rash growing on my back!! Both not great news:( but our reality.
I haven't been feeling very well. I thought it was due to asthma and allergies, which I've also been dealing with at the same time. The pain in my back I thought was from all my back problems and from waitressing; though this was a different kins of pain. It's nerve pain that apparently can get quite bad. About two days ago I noticed an odd rash on the right side of my back and down my spine. I thought it was hives, an allergy reaction; only benadryl didn't work.
Then I went for dinner with a couple friends I haven't seen for awhile last night, and one of them had just gotten over having shingles. While driving home I wondered if that's what my rash might be. This morning I looked it up on line and saw that the rash looked and sounded exactly the same. Then this friend told me that the first 72 hours are the most important for treatment. I hope I've gotten the drugs in time.I think it's been just over 48 hours since the rash started, but it's on my back and not where I can see it.
I've booked of the next two weeks off of work. Hopefully I'll be feeling much better by then. If I've caught it late then I could suffer from the nerve pain, aches and rash for many more weeks.
I'm feeling rather discouraged. I can't believe there's another physical set back. I've been feeling so good about moving forward and putting what I thought was the worst behind me. I'm frustrated as I feel so tired, sore and overwhelmed. This is not how I wanted to start my summer:(

Trying not to scratch,

Feather

3 comments:

Waltrude G. - Grandmothergoose said...

Goodness! ! ! !
Certainly not something you needed!
Will pray that you can keep from scratching! :-)
Hang in there!

Flo said...

Hi Feather,
So sorry to hear this news and setback. Get rest!! I had shingles this past year. One thing that helped was Neem Cream to help with the healing, etc. I get it from Dr. Ewing, my naturopath on Clearbrook Road. Sounds like you might have hit it fast with the anti-viral but that drug can really wipe your immune system. Take good care and rest as much as you can. Easier said than done with young kids. Will be praying for you.

Unknown said...

You poor thing! Not a great start to the summer. Shingles is in the Chickenpox family of viruses - so calamine lotion, cool baths with oatmeal, and all the usual chickenpox cures, can help.
Get plenty of rest and take care of yourself! Hopefully soon you'll be feeling better, and you can get out and enjoy summer with the girls. You guys certainly deserve to have some fun.