Thursday, April 9, 2009

Clearing the air.

There seems to be a little confusion out there so I would like to clear the air. I was admitted to the out-patient psych program as a medical patient. I know there is so much stigma out there attached to the mental health community, that many people don't quite know what to make of me being where I am.

To be honest it has been one of the more interesting experiences of my life:) And again I believe I am right where I need to be. They nurses have been amazing! As well as being able to have my medical needs closely supervised, I've also been able to find a medication that helps me to sleep better at night and a medication that helps me with some of my anxieties.

I have met an incredibly diverse group of wonderful people that I otherwise would have not likely met. Though it has truned out that there are a few that I have discovered I only have one degree of seperation from. We've celebrated with one patient her birthday and in the same week her becoming a grandmother. I've been able to share and talk with many, even some who laugh and cry back and forth, but it has been a great life learning experience that I am grateful for.

I am also very thankful for the attentive medical attention I am receiving,that is why I am here. My DR. is amazing and he has worked hard to have me where I can get the medical attention I need, it's the only way I can get tests done quickly without long waits because there is still some cause for concern at this point.
As it stands I will be spending the entire weekend at home with the family for Easter. IF anything arises medically I have a bed to come to at the hospital right away, no long ER waits, but I have an official "pass" for the weekend, very interesting?!?

I have to stop myself from laughing when other patients in this ward come to me and ask me why I am here because I am obviously "normal"!!! To be honest I've never felt so normal, stable and sane in my whole life:)!!!
Lord willing there is nothing to be found by these tests but I am grateful for them. I will have surgery again, like I mentioned previosly, in the not to distant future (couple weeks or so). Today I will go home and spend some time with my family again and then I will come back here once the children are asleep. Once I've had a good,long restful nights sleep, adn my vitals are monitored by the nurse, I will head home again tomorrow morning. With reassesment and converstations with my medical team, this seems to be the best option for me at this time. It calms my heart to know I am being so well cared for:)

Visitors are welcome anytime, give me a call on my cell, or come on through and see me in Baker !. It is an open ward, just like the medical, I am in room 121. If I am not there they can page me or call my cell. WE can visit inthe lobby if you aren't sure what some of the patients may do, but it can be rather entertaining at times, sad at others, and mostly quite "normal":)

Take some time to figure out how "normal" you are today!!:)

Feather

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing how God always puts us exactly where we need to be - either for ourselves to learn from the experience, or to be there to help others.
So happy to hear that you're getting the rest you need, and that you are well enough to spend time with your family this weekend. I'm thinking of you often.

jkwiens said...

Feather, it makes total sense to me. I think it's great that this situation has been worked out for you and you are getting such great care as you need it.
I'm so glad that you are going to be able to spend Easter at home though. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I am pleading with God on your behalf that your body gets healed... completely and that the tests don't show cancer or anything else, but I know that ultimately He knows what is best in the bigger picture. Hugs, Amber

Love Guatemala said...

Hey, normal is only the setting on my dryer! So glad that you have a space where they are not waking you up to see how you are sleeping. Isn't it good to know that HE knows where HE wants you to be...
Praying for a wonderful weekend.
Judy

Joan said...

Hey, Feather!
I think I understand what you mean about being in the psych ward. There is still some stigma attached to it, right? Although fighting depression the past five years or more has not been a pleasant experience for me, I think it has been God's way of allowing me to understand what it feels like, and what other people deal with to a much more serious degree. I'm sure He is using you to minister to others while you are "resting" there.

I'm so glad to hear that you are being kept where you are getting such good medical care and the much-needed rest. I'm also glad you're able to spend the days at home this weekend, and that you were able to enjoy the girls' birthday party.

Thanks be to Him who has provided all of the people to help you and your family!

Brent said...

Hi Feather,

I was looking online for a friend who's been diagnosed with Cancer and came accross your blog. I thought to my self - Certainly not the same Feather I knew way back in Abbotsford!?! - but it is you. I am so sorry to hear of all the medical ailments you are having. It must be so hard for you and your family to go through again. I must say, though, that your blog and your story has been influential to other people who are going through a similar experience. Your ability to talk about your experience, and the positive approach you have even during the dark times is inspiring.

I hope for a speedy recovery.

Your old friend,
Brent.