Friday, April 16, 2010

My "nose-job"...

No I didn't have any "rhynoplasty" done (however you spell it?!?) But I did have quite the procedure done to my nose and sinuses yesterday but it was called a deviated septum reconstruction and a procedure called thurboplasty, or something like that. Anyway,now that it is fixed, I must wait a week or so before the project is complete. The two stints that have been placed my nose, to hold it together in the right place to heal, will be removed in week.When I look in the mirror I can see a bit of a cosmetic touch that I like. The tip of my nose is lowered just a bit and the middle part of my nostrils is straight, where it was crooked before. Not that I did it for that reason. My main motivation was to have my nasal passages be able drain better so it wouldn't continue to get so many terrible nasal infections. My allergies already cause my nose so many problems like severe post-nasal-drip, sneezing, leakage etc. Because of all the infections and inflammation over the years, I'd developed all kinds of lumps, bumps and polys in there. IT also has a direct connection and reaction at my asthma; mostly because of the chronic and severe post-nasal-drip.

After having this surgery the hope it that I'll finally be able to properly breath out of my nose, that my risk of nasal infections will all but disappear, this will basically alleviate the post-nasal-drip that is aggrivating my asthma and so my nose will look a little cuter (especially without it having to be blown clean every 5 minutes (there;s nothing very attractive about that!)

For now, I'm very sore still, it's been just over 24 hours since the surgeon, Dr,.LEE got to know my sinuses better than I do. The first bump in recovery was a concern that my pulse-ox wasn't higher. That means my body wasn't getting enough oxygen. I was having difficulty breathing properly. I felt very closterphobic from it as I kept trying to cathc my breath but I couldn't. They but me on oxygen hoping it would stay up bu once they took the oxygen away, my levels dropped again. At that moment the nurse calmly told me that I might be staying the night in hospital.

Yikes! I was so out of it, I'd just come out of the anesthetic and was very doozy. I think I should have had a nebulizer treatment to help perk up the lungs. But no one though of that?!? It was a little scary. But at least I wasn't vomitting like usual, not yet anyway.

The pain was managed with some good drugs and before I knew it I was being hurried to go home. Not before the surgeon told me the surgery went great. A friend of a friend picked me up. I'd never even heard of her before that meet in the recovery daycare room. Janet kindly drove me to her home to rest before she could take me to Carol fcor the remainder of my journey home.

While at Janet I started to feel all the effects of the drugs the hospital gave me wearing off. So I took the 2 t'3's they gave me with some gravol and we headed on our way. Not even 5 kms down the road and up cam e the plain toast and gingerale.I don't know how it is possible to throw up so much more than you think you've eaten?!?
Thank-fully we had the ziplock bags and wet wipe prepared. Also grateful for the wad of tissue I grabbed, because with the vomitting came the none stop nose bleed!

I switched to Carol's vehicle and I'd tried to warn her about possible vomit and blood and there it was; all the way home. By the time we got me home, the pressure had caused the left side nasal splint to come lose and shift down a bit. If it wasn't already uncomfortable, now it really was. SO I pressed it just the right way, I hope, and pushed it right back up where it was supposed to be. Ouch.

The vomiting finally stopped because I called ahead and got Chris to get me injectable gravol, so he could give me a shot when I got home. I was throwing up so much I couldn't keep any pain pills down and the pain was getting worse. Finally I was in my own bed, my stomach calmed and I could take some pain medication. No my nose however did not stop bleeding for a while longer. They had said if it bleeds and you can't get it to stop then to go to the ER. Thankfully it finally stopped many hours later.

I had a decent sleep last night, though I hope I have more sleep tonight. I've so tired all day. I know my body has been through a lot lately, but I still have to rest and take it easy.

A big shout out to all the wonderful people who came together to make this whole ordeal a wonderful experience; Julia Savali and her family(Valerie, Camille, and Sophie) who let me sleep over and then all got up at 5am to have me at UBC hospital by 6am. To Janet who picked me up on very short notice, when they released me so early. I had a nice rest at her home, she blessed me with a comfy couch, watching the BLINDSIDE and amazing Arbonne products. Next I was greeted by Carol Z. who drove me all the way to Abbotsford, she;s lived in Vancouver for 19 years and this was only her second time in life out our way?!? How brave of her to venture out with my when she hardly knows me and I ended up puking most of the remaining trip:( Some how with both ladies I was able to have quiet good conversations, between the up-chucks. I did warn them all of may vomiting after surgery, and they all came prepared with bags big and small, ziplocks and an assortment of tissue and wet wipes for clean-up.lol

I made it home with one hand holding a bag full of bloody tissue, and in the other handa bag that looked like I was bringing home the girls a new goldfish...but sadly it was just me and what was left of my stomach contents.

Now with the help of several frozen pea bags, many pillows, nasal wrap gauze, more gravol injecions in the backside so I can keep down some pain meds, my bed and my blankie...I'm at home and on the mend. So looking forward to being able to breath through my nose like a normal person!!

No bruising or real swelling; but that may come later, I'll keep you posted.


PS. If you ever have this done, don't put a bag of frozen peas on your forehead, and then try to sit up a bit, or it will cause the hard bag of peas smash down on your so sore nose:(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh dear what an ordeal.. Hope you are feeling better now... Hugs for you and prayers for a speedy recovery! What a nasty operation and I bet you are so glad its over.