Sunday, September 30, 2007

The CIBC Run for the CURE

This was the 8th year that I’ve participated in the Run for the Cure. Again this year I set my goal high for fundraising and I did well. I managed to raise $5,345, almost a thousand came in the last three days!! Thanks to all of you for your support! A group of my friends came out and got soaked in the rain. It was pouring so I wasn’t able to actually do the 1km, even in my wheel chair. I didn’t want to risk getting wet, cold and sick. My friend Cindy and her daughter Amber made beautiful signs that said, “Feather’s Flock”. We got lots of great pictures and we were all in pink. All the friends of Feather wore their, “Birds of a Feather Fighting together” T-shirts.(When I stopped by abc restaurant, they were all wearing my pink T-shirts as well, it was very touching)
My new friend Lori shared her story on the stage at the run. She is 36, newly married, and she’s got stage 4 breast cancer. Lori has been fighting for about 3 years. Her lungs and liver are full of metestatic breast cancer, please think of her in your prayers. I hope to connect with her more in the new future.
I thank God for all of my friends. I had friends come out today that I’ve known for 30 years and others for only a couple weeks. Not to leave out my Mom who’s known me the longest of all The support was overwhelming and lovely. I managed not to cry all day, but I chocked up many times. I participated in the survivor walk and got a special pink survivor T-shirt. I also got a big pink umbrella. I managed to stay warm, just as my hands were getting cold a kind woman gave me her gloves to keep. I had to sit down and rest a lot, my umbrella doubled as a cane and by the end the wheelchair came in very handy.
Over the past 4 years I’ve raised over $14,000 for Breast cancer research, treatment, diagnosis and awareness. It is my hope and prayer that this will literally pay off for me and that my cancer will be cured!! Even though my girls didn’t last long at the run today, they got to cold (they wouldn’t keep their mittens on) , Chris ended up taking them home early but we did get some great photos. By their small participation today, it gave me hope that theirs will be a future without breast cancer.

No comments: