Friday, June 15, 2007

How Low can you go...?

I was never good at the limbo, when the goal was to go as low as possible. But apparently I'm really good at getting my white blood sell counts to drop very low post chemo:( Shoot, not the outcome I was hoping for, but I had a gut feeling because I felt so terribly on Wednesday night. The mouth sores are a symptom of the low count. The good news is that the $20,000 in medication that I'll need over the next 7 chemos, will only cost us $145!! Our oncologist put in a request for a Pharamacare grant and we were approved for the full amount. The only problem was we still had a remanining $945 deductible to pay. The another grant called the victory grant was made available to us for $800 of the deductible, thus we were left with the $145 pay. We were so relieved, since even the $145 was not in our budget. The crappy part for me is that I have to get 7 injections over 14 days, every two days, in my tummy given by me or Chris at home. That's 49 extra injections, Yuck!

Chemo went well, I'm feeling fairly well so fair, mostly tired and I reazlied I really can't stand the smell of cooking chicken.

Partly I'm tired because I had a wonderful night in Vancouver last night:) Chris and I stayed at the Best Western and I got to meet up with my friend Sandra, and old childhood friend that I grew up in the same street as and went to shool with. She is expecting her first child and we had a great visit. Chris hung out with Colin and I got meet up with them afterwards.

I some how talked them into doing karaoke, and had a moment of regret as I found myself up in front of too many people singing "Papa don't preach" by Madonna, I sounded so much better in my bed room when I was a teenager.( I remember sounding even better than Madonna:) I didn't pull off my best Madonna, but I did pull off my bald head for it's first real public appearance:)It felt good somehow, empowering to prolcaim in my own way that yes I'm bald and sick, but I'm enjoying life and having fun!! Chris and I watched a movie in our room and felt like we had a few great date nights all in one!

My mouth sores are doing so much better, but so it should after we had to spend $60+ on three different mouthwashes and rinses. The Dr said the sores should go away once I start getting the injections for my white blood cells counts.

I just have to say how glad I am that my wound on my right breast (or chest mound as they call it in the medical world) finally healed up completely! I was able to have my first real shower and bath earlier this week. I've had to sponge bath and wash my hair in the sink for 9 and a half weeks (because if the open wound and bandages). Having the water from the shower head pulse on a newly bald scalp is the craziest feeling. I would say you should try it, but maybe not, just take my word for it :)

Hey I'm on Facebook now, come and find me and be my friend!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Feather,

Thinking of you. Gary and Gloria just left and gave me all news of your grants. Super.

Love to all of you.

Uncle Wayne

Anonymous said...

God is good all the time. You never know how He will surprise you next. YEHA!! Go girl.
Prayin for you and thinking of you.
Love Jo