Sunday, July 15, 2007

Friday vs. Friday

I have had two incredibly great friday nights in a row! Last Friday night, July 6th the day of my 3rd chemo, Chris was in concert that night. He was great and performed a new song I'd never heard. He just keeps getting better and better if I do say so myself. In the midst of his gig he announced that because his wife who is fighting cancer showed up with no hair, that he was going to leave with no hair. Two hair dressers walked on the stage and in less than a minute shaved Chris’s head bald I’d tried to talk my dear husband out of it, but once he got it in his mind that he was going to do this for me I couldn’t talk him out of it. But like I suspected, every time I look at him I remember that I’m bald to. It’s kind of nice to just forget how my head looks, until I look in the mirror. His hair is growing back very quickly, thankfully. Even though I’d had chemo that day I felt okay, the first two days on chemo aren’t too bad because the steroids keep me up, but I only take them for two days. I found out that night from Mr. Van Dogen (our local MLA) that our Preimer Gordon Campbell would be sending me a letter. Which I did receive the following Monday. I felt honoured to receive a personal letter from my Premier recognizing my involvement in my community and encouraging me in my fight against breast cancer. That letter has gone in the scrapbook along with all the other stuff I’ve collected over the last 4 and half months of my journey thus far.
This past Friday night, July 13th, we had another adventure heading into the city. In the car on the drive in we heard on the radio the announcement that Sarah Mclachlan and her husband welcomed their daughter Taja (sister to India age 5) on June 22nd , three weeks earlier. We discussed this news item at the time, figuring it didn’t apply to our world at all. Now we were heading into the city because Chris was playing with his brother Colin for a benefit concert, benefiting Sarah McLachlan’s charity, Music Outreach, so I guess this is why we took a particular interest to this news on this day. The boys played great! Colin sang amazingly as usual and Chris shone while accompanying on acoustic guitar. Then Chris was introduced to Ash, Sarah McLachlann’s husband! It sure came in handy to congratulate him on the birth of his second daughter and to let him know that we also had two little girls. We ended up engaged in conversation for the better part of an hour and Chris had the opportunity to give him a copy of his CD. We couldn’t believe the way the evening had played out, what a great second Friday night in a row!

No comments: