Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Success and Failure...

The quality of the concert Saturday April 12th, was a huge success, I stated at the end of the night that there had been more talent on the stage than on any episode of “idol”. A highlight for me, was listening to my brother Daniel belt out a rock tune he wrote called “Feather”. In the song I had to laugh as I heard him sing, “She has no breasts left to lose.” Then I thought he sang, “…breathe left to lose.”…but he did sing, “Breasts.” Daniel knew I’d connect with what he sang. We had a good laugh afterwards:) The following are his lyrics:
Feather

You, you're an inspiration to me
With no apologies
I'll raise your banner
Too many times to count
You've been knocked around
But you always stand up
Tall, and hold your head up high
Never stop to question why
And every time

You're turning your obstacles
Into opportunities
I know, I know, I know
I'll never be like you

Where do you find the strength to persevere
To face each coming year
And continue pressing
On, with passion and with grace
Humility and faith
You always impress me
Now, like a feather on the wind
High above the world again
You continue

Turning your obstacles
Into opportunities
I know, I know, I know
I'll never be like you

There's a disease in our family tree
It chose you rather than choosing me
Your strength of will, I confess
(Though you're running out of breasts)
You're so much stronger than I'll ever be

You're turning your obstacles
Into opportunities
I know, I know, I know
I'll never be like you

I was grateful to have those come out that did Saturday night, I know they had a night to remember. I suppose it would have left better to have more people there, especially for those that put so much into making the night possible. It ended up being the warmest day in almost 6 months. We raised $720 total, which will just about cover the expenses of one of us in my support group to go to the retreat in Quebec for Young Adults with cancer; though we are going to split that amount between Julie and I, so we have a bit more fundraising to do. Donations are still welcome.
I really enjoyed the concert and in my eyes and in my heart, it was a success!

I was really hoping to feel better by now. I’ve still been receiving fluids through IV. Each day I feel a little bit stronger, but I have really struggled with feelings of success and failure.(strength and weakness) I had to cancel a big speaking engagement I had scheduled for next week.
I’ve NEVER felt that I couldn’t do something. It’s not like me to not push forward and make it happen. But the last few days God has revealed to me that my new normal in life might include a different kind of success than I’ve been used to gauging my life success by. My new normal will include less expectation.
As I struggle with feelings of failure, I see success all around me. My girls who are thriving and full of life; who’s birthday party is this Saturday. Carmelle is celebrating turning 5 and Cadence is turning 3. Life keeps on moving so quickly.
This past year has gone by so quickly. They say time goes fast when you are having fun, so I’m not sure why this year has gone so fast?!?! Perhaps in it’s own way it’s been a true success and a time to reflect on and celebrate, therefore, FUN!
Right now I know I’m having more fun than Chris, who’s having to spend days on our taxes; A time when we mark on paper the financial success or failure of our past year.

The following are thank-you’s to those who helped to make last Saturday such a success:

Thank-you Caroline (Byers) Laanstra for your efforts over several months to make the 12th such a memorable night for me, you are such a great friend!
The Chilliwack School District, Sardis Sec, Bourquin printers and Brian Rodda (graphics)
Thanks to my Mom for organizing such fabulous door prizes and to all those who donated door prizes; Ted Driediger, Rustic Soap co., Blockbuster etc.

Thank’s to Erin (McAstocker) and Nicole (Morris) Huband for handling the door and sales.

Carrie-Anne and Leah VanderZwan for doing Chris’s merch table and entertaining the Girls.
Thank-you Carrie for such a great idea last Nov to have an event like this!

Of Course the evening wouldn’t have been possible without the artists; MARIKA!!! Daniel and his band (The Neverknown), Lisa Adrianne and My dear husband, awesome as always!

...All in all the success far out weighs the "failure".

No comments: