Sunday, November 25, 2007

When the grass you are standing on is the greenest

(the following is a talk I’ve prepared and have been asked to share at the MOMS group that I attend at Northview Community church on Tuesday mornings)

Saturday I attended a Christian women’s conference in Richmond with “Women Alive”. I was there because I was asked to model for a fashion show. I haven’t modeled for a few years now, especially not looking like a plus sized bald manuican. I probably wouldn’t have made it a priority to go to the conference, if I hadn’t been asked to work the fashion show. I still find it really hard to make time just for me; not me as a mother, or me as a wife, but just me, the woman that I am.

I wondered what I would leave the conference with, what God would press on my heart.
It ended up being the thought that, my grass is the greenest! And “no” I’m not referring to our lawn or the “grass” my parent’s grew to be 6 feet tall in the “back forty”. I’m talking about, “the grass not always being greener on the other side”.
I often catch myself thinking, “When this part of my treatment is over, then things will be better.” “When treatment is over, then I can really start to live my life and enjoy living it.”
God has shown me, and really revealed to me even more this weekend, that today and every day is the first day of the rest of my life and that today is a day to enjoy! After all, “This is the day that the Lord has made.” And we are to rejoice and be glad in it!”
Not just the good hair days, or the day when you finally fit into your skinny jeans, or the day you find a really good deal on a big ticket item… but EVERYDAY!
It’s usually easiest for me to think… Life will be better when treatment is over, or when my hair grows back it, or when I get back in shape.
Do you catch yourself thinking, “When we find financial freedom, or just catch a financial break, then I can rejoice.” OR “ When we get the bigger house…When the kids are a bit older and not so demanding…When the house is as clean and organized as you’d like it to be… or When you can finally get 8 hours of uninterupted sleep in a night…THEN, then you can rejoice, then it will be well with your soul.
When I drove away from the conference on Saturday I realized, “That’s it!! IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL!!” And that is all that matters, that’s what makes the grass under my feet green, right now!
The grass won’t be greener WHEN….unless it is well with my soul NOW.
Obviously I realize that life isn’t always a bed of roses and that the “grass under you feet may perhaps be more brown than green”, but I urge you that even in those times, look for those few blades of green grass, something to be thankful for in the midst of your trying circumstances, what ever they maybe. (See my blog entry, “Perks to having breast cancer twice by 35.”)
I also realized, once again, the value of taking sometime just for me. As women this doesn’t always come naturally for us, even though we really need it. This doesn’t mean that we should attend women’s conference’s every weekend, but a little time here and there can go a long way. Especially when we catch ourselves thinking that the Grass is greener somewhere other than where we are.
One way I’m learning how to take time for me, is to take time everyday doing deep breathing relaxation exercises; or if you are comfortable you with it you can call it meditation. My therapist suggested that I create a one sentence mantra for me to repeat during this time. So as I breathe in slowly 4 seconds through my nose, I say to myself this truth, “I am alive, I am loved, I am well.” Then I breathe out slowly for 4 seconds through my mouth, “I am alive, I am loved, I am well.” Try to repeat this for up to 5 minutes at a time.
Why don’t you try to take a little time for yourself, and come up with a positive, truth to speak into your life. Even if it’s the only time you have for yourself all day, it will help you to relax, rest and have a healthy dose of positive thinking. And I think we all know that we could use some of that everyday!
IF you are interested in following my blog that I write a couple times a week or so, you can find it through my website, www.featherjanz.com
I appreciate your prayers and support for me and my family, my blog also lists our specific prayer requests and my current

1 comment:

Marni said...

It is so true Feather. Thank you for sharing your heart. Know that you are in my prayers, even though we haven't met in person.