Monday, August 27, 2007

Climbing the Mountian.

Within in 36 hours of my diagnosis of breast cancer, back in mid-March, God gave me a vision of what lay ahead of me. He showed me a mountain in the path of my journey that I couldn’t get around and had to go over. It was a high mountain, with rough and rugged terrain. Before I was to start the climb, I was to equip myself for the long hike and climb (not knowing then how long it would be but knowing I’d have to prepare for the long haul). So I equipped myself with a team of climbers, those that would pray were the first needed. Then I added to the team, those that would help financially, with meals along the way, with meeting basically daily needs and again more prayer.
I was ready to start my climb…many see a diagnosis of breast cancer as a dark and low time of a life, a “valley”, but I saw it completely differently. I saw this as an opportunity to get to higher ground. Though it would be hard and some days harder than others, I knew that there would be great views and sights to be seen and that the Son would shine brighter and warmer than ever before.
This pushed me forward, even up and out of my sleepy slumber some days, when I just didn’t feel like climbing. When I would stumble there would be a hand provided to care for me and to help me up. The gear that I’d prepared before the climb would catch me if I were to fall. (I don’t feel that I’ve had to use that gear yet, but it sure is reassuring to know it’s there just in case.) As these hands that God has provided reach out to help not only me, but my family along the way, we feel the tender touch of our Heavenly Father affirming peace in the chaos.
I know that when I reach that peak and see the glory of all creation from high a top my victory mountain, I will proclaim, “This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.”
Though coming down the other side won’t exactly be smooth sailing, it will be much easier. I know I’ll still need prayer and a helping hand from time to time, there will still be the risk of falling, but I believe my journey will continue on with a glorious life of wonder and amazement.
As for today and everyday, let us say, “This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.”

1 comment:

Erin Whalen said...

Feather! I'm assuming you're Feather Wagner who went to Sardis Secondary, yes?

I'm so sorry to hear you're battling breast cancer. At the same time, I'm in awe of your positive attitude and resolve to meet this challenge head on.

My best wishes to you and your family -- I hope you beat this!

And please say hello to your father for me. He was a great music teacher and an all-around wonderful man.

I'll come back to this blog often to see how you're holding up.

All the best,

Erin Whalen