Wednesday, December 5, 2007

1 down and 29 to go!

I got to shave my legs for the first time in months…not that I really missed it, but my hair has started to grow back fully in the last week. I’ve got full eyebrows and eyelashes, only the hairs are all 2-3 millimeters long. I’m sure I’ll have a crew cut hair-do by Christmas.
I went for my first radiation appointment today, it was much longer than I expected. It was just as difficult as the planning appointment, that was incredibly uncomfortable. My arm fell asleep and was very painful for about half an hour. When I thought I was just about to cry, the radiation therapist called out that I could move my arm. I told her those were the sweetest words I’d ever heard, it was a huge relief to move my arm. I have to stay perfectly still during treatment, can’t even move a millimetre or they have to start again. They assure me that the future treatments will go much faster, I sure hope so. As I was leaving the Surrey clinic, the first thing I saw as I left the doors was a rainbow. It was very uplifting, as I took it as a reminder of God’s faithfulness in my life.
I headed to Guildford to meet my friend Maria for dinner and Christmas shopping. We had a great time visiting and I got lots of gifts to check of my shopping Christmas list. It was a great way to make my day enjoyable and also miss the rush hour traffic on the way home. Mostly I’ll head to my appointments alone, some days bringing people with me. I don’t mind the time to think and be alone, though I guess I’ll see how a feel after doing this for weeks. One down, 29 to go!

1 comment:

L&D said...

Yay for one down! It must be super tough to have your arm ache like that. I'll remember that for the future should I go into oncology. Empathy is a big thing, hey?

You'll be a beautiful blonde again in no time. Is it true they have more fun? Here's to 29 more.