Friday, January 4, 2008

"I'm a really healthy person, I just happen to get cancer!"

Well I had a Happy New Year and a Happy Birthday! I turned 36 and loved every minute of it…except the torturous 30 minutes in my radiation appointment. There were difficulties getting my arm and body in proper position, as my custom made form is starting to fall apart. So by the 15th minute, which is usually when I’m done, my arm and shoulder started to ache terribly. I just kept reminding myself that I was going to have a facial that afternoon and how relaxing that would be. It didn’t really help, but the facial was very relaxing.
I received many wonderful birthday greetings and three sets of lovely flowers. I received gifts and one that I’ll benefit from in the near future. Chris got me a flight to Las Vegas for one month after my radiation treatment is done. I’ll stay with my friend Julie and enjoy some great Vegas shows and have some fabulous girlfriend time. I leave Feb 14th, so the trip will kind of also be my Valentine’s gift. I’m so looking forward to this trip, it’s something to look forward to as I get through these final days of Radiation.
I got good news and bad news today, I only have 9 more radiation treatments, yeah! But the reason I don’t have 12 more is because my skin is in rough shape. I’m now having to do saline compresses 3 times a day to help ward off infection. My skin is bright red, sore, bubbling and peeling in some places, very itchy and tight. I have to stretch my muscles as they are getting tight as well.
The good thing is that my energy is pretty good, much better than I expected at this point. I otherwise feel pretty healthy. I had to fill out a questionnaire at the spa yesterday and one of the questions was, “Are you in good, excellent or poor health?”, I instinctively circled the word “excellent” and then laughed at myself. I don’t think it’s denial, I just feel well, other than having cancer. Other than cancer, I’m otherwise really healthy. I’ve said a few times, “I’m a really healthy person, I just happen to get cancer!”
Chris and I had a wonderful date night as my brother Daniel and his wife Rachael babysat. We got to use our Earl’s gift card and also a set of movie passes. We saw an entertaining movie, National Treasure, and Chris surprised me with flowers and great card and a pretty necklace. The most romantic part was he took the time to totally clean our very messy room. Our room has been the last place to receive attention with all the unpacking and the holidays, come to think of it…it’s always the last place to get cleaned, perhaps you can relate.
Hope your New Year is off to a good start, just like mine!

1 comment:

L&D said...

I love your frame of mind that your health is excellent, you just happen to have cancer. It's attitudes like THAT that will help you beat this. Best of luck on your last 9 rounds in the boxing ring.