Friday, July 25, 2008

Good news...

My Doctor,oncologist, called to let me know that my follow-up tests (done Wednesday) show no signs of metastatic disease in my right lung. Previous tests ruled out there being being metestatic disease anywhere else in my body, and my blood work for tumor markers came back clear. So this is good news. It's means that there is no signs of cancer anywhere in my body.
In the last week specifically, I felt that this was true. My gut feeling was that i was cancer free, as I was feeling so well and so "normal". As I've mentioned before, my life has been, thus far "anything but normal...".
When I heard a month ago that my right lung was irregular and possibly damaged by radiation or the site of metestatic breast cancer, I thought it was the later as I was not well and right before I headed to the hospital, felt like I was dying.As it turned out my body was in serous trouble, not from cancer, but because my electralites were very unbalanced and my potassium levels had bottomed out. I felt comatose and my muscles began seizing, but after a week in the hospital they had me almost back to normal. After another week of potassium pills, I felt the best I had in a very long time.
As the last few weeks passed, I felt better and better in every way. Currently, I don't have to take any medications at all to get through my day. I still have some dizziness from the labrithintitis (inner ear balance disorder) but even that is sooooo much better than it was.
I'm now able to eat a balanced diet through the day and I've been able to take vitamins for the first time in 6 months, without feeling sick. My body will take time to rebuild all of it's strength, muscles and organs, but I feel confident that it will in the next while. My faith in my body is returning and I'm learning to trust it again.
I'm looking forward to start excercising regularly again, little by little, as my lungs will allow. Currently my right lung is limited, but my left is healthy and should compensate for the weakness of the right. It will take longer to rebuild my cardio-vascular health, but in time it should be as strong as it once was.
I don't plan on walking the 60kms for the wekend to end breast cancer, like I once did, but perhaps next year. I also won't be running the 5kms for the Run for the Cure, but last year I couldn't even walk the 1 km as it was only 2 days post chemo.
My goal will be to walk the 5kms in October, pushing my youngest daughter in the stroller and holding the hand of my oldest.
It is my intention to walk the 5kms every year, with my two girls, holding hands of their children...and so on.

9 comments:

Patti said...

This is WONDERFUL AMAZING GOD news. I'm so happy to hear such a wonderful report. I've been praying for you all.

jkwiens said...

Yeah!!! Feather, that is such awesome news! It just made me smile inside and out as I read it. I have been wondering what the tests showed. Thanks for sharing. I will email you in the next couple of days to let you know when I can visit next :) I am working my set now, one more day and two nights to go. Talk to you soon! So excited for you! God does do miracles. Praying that you just get stronger and stronger and just soak in the joy of being well and enjoying day to day things!Hugs, Amber

Flo said...

Couldn't be better news - congratulations. So glad that you are feeling better and better each day and that things are definitely looking up. Praise God!

barb said...

Oh Feather! I'm SO happy!!! I cried as I read your latest update!!! Our God is SO awesome! I pray that you continue to feel great, and enjoy a normal, cancer free life with your family and friends! BIG hugs!

Tania said...

All praise and thanksgiving to our Jehovah-rapha, our God who heals! I am so happy to hear this GREAT news!

Psalm 9:10 Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.

Thank you El Elyon!!

Cindy said...

Feather, Awesome News! I feel so much joy for you and your family. Let the healing begin, and knowing you as I do, you be back to "anything but normal" soon.
Love ya

ROSALIE said...

Feather, this is fabulous news. I am so thrilled for you and your family. In a few minutes I will send out an email to the extended family. May your joy and your strength and health increase.

Kerry said...

PRAISE THE LORD!!! We are so happy to hear your great news! May God bless you and your family as you celebrate another one of God's miracles!!! I couldn't get through your post without crying. I think about you everyday and send up a prayer and I will continue to do so. :)

Coco said...

I'll admit it...I was terrified when I heard about the spots on your lung. I was devastated and worried, but continued to pray. I always clung to the hope that all would be ok, and also to the fact that Feather's story had to be one of a miraculous healing and a happy ending. My friend, I am so relieved and so full of joy at this awesomely INCREDIBLE news. I am so happy and can't wait for our next good long chat over a Coke/Orange Slurpee!

Praise God!!!! THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!

YippEEEE!!! Did I mention that I'm HAPPY??????