Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Time of Rehabilitation.

I am viewing this time now and for the months to follow as a time of rehabilitation for myself. When we think of rehabilitation we mostly think of and focus on the physical. I realize that that this process will take awhile and will include emotional, mental, social and spiritual rehab as well. When I was at my "cancer-survivour" retreat last weekend in Quebec, we talked a lot about what we phrased, "re-inter-jecteriz-ation". This is not a word,obviously, but stands for "integrating back into "normal" life" after being a patient for so long.
For me today this has already included, getting up alone with my girls today. Chris is off doing music and I'm managing the home and girls just fine. I decided to make the girls french toast for breakfast and as we waited for it to cook, I blew bubbles for them. I realized very quickly that blowing bubbles, which I haven't done in a long time, is actually a really good lung exercise. After 2 times, I was winded, light headed and dizzy, but I didn't stop, I just paced myself. I feel this is a symbol of how much of my life will be for awhile, I need to try things I haven't done and instead of stopping when it gets tough, pace myself and enjoy the process.
The joy I got from watching my girls laugh and jump, popping thing bubbles was a highlight of my morning.
It is my intention to try something each day that I haven't done for awhile. I also intend to try and do a little exercise here and there. By Fall I plan to get a gym membership and go 3 times a week. I'll have more of a structured routine with Carmelle starting Kindergarten, afternoon class, and Cadence going to preschool 2 afternoons a week, Mondays and Wednesdays. It'll be the first time our family has a structured routine and I hope we adjust alright.
As I "re-inter-jecterize" I know there will be times that are rough and frustrating, but I know there will be so much support through it, just as I've received so much all along.
Thank-you for your continued support and encouragement!

No comments: