Tuesday, July 15, 2008

To tan or not to tan, hmmm that is the question?

This is a question that many people have strong opinions on. Since I've had cancer twice most people assume I'm against tanning. I in fact love getting the "Perfect Tan", that's also where I go to achieve this "Perfect Tan", My good friend Lisa Byers owns this company with her husband, and I've been going there fairly consistantly for about 13 years. I've loved how the sun feels on my skin since I was a little girl. I got my first sun burn at 4 years old, i've never have a bad burn again (until my radiation burn) From then on I used sun screen or covered up before I'd burn. when I went to Australia at 19, that's when I really learnt about sun safety, skin cancer is a major problem there because they have hot sun all year round. They had a campain "Slip. slop. Slide" (Slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slide on a hat") I did tan fairly irresponsibly for a few years, not wanting to spend money on good lotions and tanning a lot all year round. My skin on my face started to age beyond it's years and my pigment on my face got tired and started getting really blotchy. So when I was 27 I made a decision to give it up partially. I began always using the good lotions provided, and covering up my face, ears, neck and chest, the most likely places to get skin cancer. So for nine years I've tanned only a few months of the year and always covered up my upper parts. I realized some years ago that I was a summer girl and aways got a little down around Feb/March and couldn't wait for the sun to come. I found out later that this is very common in the Northern Hemisphere and is called, seasonal depression. I know I have a mild case of this and the Vitamin D and calming warm comfort of the tanning beds releaves the symptoms. Canadians generally only have natural tanning weather a few months of the year and are encouraged to get more vitamin D one way or another. My prefered source of Vitamin D is the sun. I use some sunless tanning lotions, especially on my face, and chest which I normally don't tan. I've had fun with Mystic Tan the last couple days, it's a natural spray on tan, that you can find at perfect tan. I love the color it gives me and I feel and look so much healthier with a tan. I haven't been able to tan very much at all the last few years with chemo last summer and babies and pregnancies, when I couldn't stand the heat. I'm making up for lost time:)
Tanning also provides me an outing each day or so, Dr's orders that no matter how crappy I feel I must get up, and go out, even if only for a little bit. Tanning is a short outing that makes me feel so much better, I find it so relaxing, and it's something I can do just for me.I don't remember the last time I had a burn, so I believe I'm doing it right. I made Chris go a few times, so he'd look more like an outdoors mand and less like a studio rat:) He was so white in California, he got burnt really bad in one short morning time, and had to wear long shirts to cover-up his sensitive burn the rest of the holiday. Not my idea of a good time.
Off I go for another tan today, My idea of a good time and a good use of my time, as the tanning bed gves me the color in 20minutes, that 3-4 hours of tanning outside woud take.
Using my time wisely, as far as I'm concerned. Loving the sun, loving my tan, feeling good in my skin. (darker stretch marks and cellulite just look better)
If you don't share my opinion for any reason, please just read my truth (or not) but please don't shoot something negative back to me, especially not stats that I already know. Thanks.
Enjoy your summer, what ever way works for you!

4 comments:

Shelley G said...

Good on ya girl. Enjoy your tanning session. I, for one, get tired of feeling pasty and white all the time. A nice, healthy glow looks good on just about anybody. Like anything else that's supposed to be bad for us, anything in moderation!!

Anonymous said...

Feather you go girl! I am from South America and was dealing with alot of depression the first few years living up here in Canada until I discovered tanning beds! I go about twice a week now and love it. Except for in the Summer, when its sunny outside. ;)Love you lots Rosaline (Nina)

Unknown said...

I'm a pasty white thing myself - natural blond and all (when I had hair (ha!)), so it's been sunscreen all my life. When I lost the hair, I started wearing hats all the time - I'm happy I do - my husband is from Australia, so knows all the dangers of the sun, and always wears a hat. It's been easy to get my little guy into the habit of wearing a hat all the time (he's a red-head) because mommy and daddy do it all the time too.
Not that I'm being judgemental in any way about tanning. I agree - looking tanned looks much better than my pasty white skin. Trust me, if I COULD tan, I would have been out on the roof with one of those mirror deflector thingys getting as brown as I could. Alas - no melanin in this skin.
I've found some great fake tanning products that I use starting in April. It does look MUCH better.
As a person who's never going to get a tan, no matter how I try, at least I can do the fake thing.
Good for you Feather for getting out each day and taking some time for yourself. I hope you have a great time in Montreal this week. We're having great weather here right now...(in ottawa) ... so I hope it holds out for the rest of the week.

barefootmommy said...

Hi Feather! Interesting post! You mention stats... I remember seeing a map once that showed national rates of cancer, and it seemed like there was less cancer in the sunnier states/provinces... I thought that was interesting! I'd think it would be the other way around... maybe getting that natural Vitamin D is actually really good for you! :) I for one am not a big sunscreen person. I love to get out into the sun but try to be smart about it. I don't trust most sunscreens because of all the chemicals, many which are suspected carcinogens (ironically) so I think it's good to promote "sun smarts". 20 minutes of sun shine is great! 8 hours of sunshine probably not as much! :) I try to get out for a daily walk every morning or late afternoon for a little Vitamin D, then stay in the shade after that. I can't remember the last time I've burnt either! I do wear mineral make-up on my face and neck area, which contains natural sunscreens so that area stays protected.