Tuesday, July 22, 2008

How I ended up as Feather "Firestarter" Janz...

I’ve been away for 6 days in Quebec at a retreat for young cancer survivours. It was so hard to say good-bye to so many new friends, but having my girls running to me on my arrival home shouting, “Mommy, Mommy!” as loud as they could, was amazing! Carmelle said, “I love you Mommy, I was missing you so much, I’m glad you are home.” These words made me even more happy about going on this retreat because I know I’ve returned as a better Mother and as a better Feather.
It’s incredible to me how much difference a few days can make, when you lay out your heart and soul and commit to doing the work you need to do. I’ve returned home with so much more than I expected. I feel healed in so many ways, ways I didn’t even know I needed healing in. I thank every one of the retreaters for being vulnerable and transparent, and making me feel safe to do so myself. There were many tears, but so many shoulders to cry and rest on; there was laughter, so much so that I think I got a mini face lift from my face muscles getting such a workout. I could never express enough the gratitude for the many “gifts” I received from so many. Though I left with so many connections and new friends, I was changed forever by one particular and incredible new friendship. I’ve never had a friend so different from me, but some how so much the same. Thank-goodness for email so we can keep in touch, as distance (Toronto) keeps us apart.
Julie, Michelle and I started our trip through Calgary airport, were I was so excited to see
Shannon (my life long friend of over 30 years) who drove with her girls from Lethbridge just to see me for just over an hour. It was so great to spend time with someone who knows me so well before heading into a weekend with all new faces.
We arrived last Wednesday the 16th, at dinner time and headed into the downtown of Montreal, to catch as much of the “Just for Laughs” Comedy Festival as we could. The downtown core of the city was blocked off and the streets were alive with laughter, professional acts and great entertainment. I got a very good sleep that night and the retreat started with us all meeting at the Hilton Hotel, where we were staying, and all loading into an old yellow school bus, with no air conditioning for a 3 hour journey to Jouvence. Need less to say many of us were already bonded to each other from that ride; especially since many of us thought the Montreal drivers were going to take our lives, not cancer.
Perhaps you are wondering how I ended up with the nickname, Firestarter…to be continued!

No comments: