Friday, July 11, 2008

Letter to myself; from half my life ago.

“Letter to myself “ Written by Feather Bryce-Wagner (Janz)
Sept 1989 at the start of my Grade 12 year.
* Now that we have a bigger house, my parent’s brought over my many rubber maid containers from their basement. These are full of special things that I collected in the first half of my life. The following letter I found in these things, those of you that are interested in my life and read my blog, I thought would gat a kick out of this letter to myself, I was surprised at how much of myself I already was at 17 years old. I was given 8 questions to answer. What you read in parenthesis is what I’ve added now.

Feather,

You are the only one who is going to read this so let’s make it as basic as possible.

1. What is your present emotional state?
- extremely thankful for everything and quite stable after such a rewarding summer. I hope to carry the emotional state throughout the year. (I’m grateful that I’ve been able to carry in on much longer than that)
2. What are your hopes for the year?
- start a good and successful Red Cross Club.-Get to know lots of people; mostly those in my Grad Class. (I got to know even more when I was a main organizer of my Grad reunion in 2000, now even more through facebook; I love face book, you can tell when you see I have currently 812 friends)
- To get on the Honour Roll, as much as possible ( I did in fact never miss one semester on the Honour Roll for all of Grades 8-12. I shared the “General Proficiency” award with my friend Erin at Grade time.)
- To see my Friends as much as possible and to maintain a stable, growing relationship with my parent’s. (Done)
- To have a great and memorable Grad. (Achieved, I still remember every minute of it well)
3. What are your expectations for Grad?
-. To get a Date. (Little did I know that I would ask 6 guys who for various reasons couldn’t be my date; I landed a BLIND date, a friend’s friend, Jason, who was a great guy, I saw him a few times that summer before he went to Ontario for University. Thanks Dean for the set up and memorable relationship.)
- To enforce “No Drinking and Driving” to the best of my ability. ( I was a member of the Counter Attack Club for a few years in HighSchool; I didn’t have my first drink until I was 27 and haven’t driven when I’ve been drinking, which only happens a few times a year anyway.)
-to go somewhere else for after Grad. (I didn’t want to attend or encourage a “Wet Grad”, my friends and were the first in Sardis High school to try for a Dry Grad. We didn’t have much success but many Grad classes after us did. I feel we were ahead of our time. About 30 of us did manage to Get donated a half floor of the Harrison Hotle, where we had our Dinner and Dance. All of the left ove food was brought uop to our rooms, and they agreed to let us use the pools after hours. We didn’t sleep a wink that night and had a blast!!)
- To get to know the entire Grad class.
- To pass all my provincials with flying colors (with very little studying I managed a B average; I was very happy to be done with school)
4. What kind of marks do you hope to attain this term?
- in this class A’s and overall the A honour Roll
5. What are your academic or career goals for the future?
- After Grad, take 3 courses at the college and work full/part time. (I took 2 courses at UCFV and worked full-time at ABC Chilliwack, waitressing)
-Go to Australia for all of ’91 and attend Bible school (I did go to Capernwray and my family decided to join me as Dad did a teachers exchange for a whole year; I returned before them in Oct ’91 I ran out of money and missed my friends. I surprised my best friend Carmen when I called her and she thought I was still in Australia. She wrote me 3 letters a week for the 10 months I was gone, A great friend, The Best!)
-Come back and be a full-time student at college. For 2 years; then attend either Trinity Western or SFU for 3 years off university, (Instead I came home and worked full-time for 8 months, worked at Camp Squeah as a counselor and then Did a 2 year ECE (Early Childhood education) program at Columbia Bible College. I did 7 courses per semester (21 credits) this included courses in Counselling (Thought about becoming a Children’s therapist) Probably because by then I realized I could have used some therapy in my child hood. I’ve made up for it by many counseling sessions in my adult life. I also played Volleyball at CBC and worked part-time waitressing at Earl’s. I managed to hold a 3.8 GPA)
6. What is your family life like?
- At the present I’d say it’s the best it’s ever been. (IT’s only gotten better now that I have my own family)
- There has been much less bickering between my brother Forrest and I and our parent’s.
-I’m feeling a great deal of love and support from them.
As for my real Dad, I’ve never felt this close to him before. We both seem to be relating to each other as friends and adults.
7. What is your social life like?
- I love my friends, family and school . I want to get to know more people on a personnal basis. I bfeel quite content with the social part of my life. Actually the social part IS MY Life! (My best friends in School, all the way through were Carmen Toews- Anderson who passed away May 13th 2002. My three other close friends are still my good friends now, Shannon Nugent (Fulton), Erin Mcastocker (Brookes) and Tania Peters (Schulz)
-
8.What is your biggest concern/worry right now?
- Personnal nconcrens don’t matter that much, but I am concerned about: World hunger, Abortion (I’ve always been pro-life, though sadden by friends decision to terminate a pregnancy, I’ve never judged, only loved)
I have concern for the homeless, the loveless and also the greedy and the hateful.

Conclusion:
What this year may bring I don’t know. I can only hope for the best but it isn’t in my hands. We can only trust God our Father in what the future holds.

Love in Him,

Feather

:) Smile God Loves You and I know that!


PS. Even my writting is the same!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

You were a bit of a visionary even back then. Even as a teenager you never judged anyone. Thanks for that then and now. Glad to hear about the coke classic, I may actually try that on my not so good days:)